As a foster parent, you would experience the joy of offering safety, stability and nurturance to children and young persons who need it the most: those who have been abused, neglected or even abandoned.
Muhammadiyah as Fostering Agency
Muhammadiyah Association has been officially appointed as the 5th Fostering Agency by the Ministry of Social and Family Development (MSF) on 1 August 2019, to grow foster care in the community.
Under the name Projek Sinar Ihsan (translated as ‘Light of Empathy’), our rallying call to the community is captured through the tagline “Ihsan Digalas, Ihsan Dibalas” (translated as ‘Empathy Embraced, Empathy Rewarded)’. In essence, it means whoever shows the willingness to take care of children in need with empathy and sincerity, will receive spiritual benefits and blessings in return.
Project Sinar Ihsan reflects the commitment of Muhammadiyah Association to the belief that the best care for vulnerable children lies within a safe and stable family environment. Together with other community partners and MSF, we want to bring the important message of the need for foster care to our community, and encourage more families to step forward to care for these children in need.
Who are the children who require foster care?
• They may have been abused, neglected or abandoned.
• Their parents are imprisoned
• Their parents are unable to care for them due to physical or mental illness
• Death of one or both parents
Why foster families are preferred?
• Ideal for children to grow up in families
• Children are best cared for by parents who are able to meet their needs
• Personalised care and attention
• Allows child to develop healthy levels of trust and bonding
Role of foster parents
• To meet the child’s basic needs and shower them with love, care and nurturance
• Help and support services are available for foster parents
Length of foster care
• Ranges from a few months to a few years
• Varies from child to child, depending on his/her family situation
Criteria for Foster Parents
1. Minimum household income of $2000 and PCI* of $700
2. At least 25 and married
3. Resident of Singapore
4. Experience in caring for children
5. Medically Fit
6. Child-safe home environment
7. Secondary School education
*PCI (Per Capita Income)
= (Total household income) / (Total number of people in the household)
Support Services by MSF
1. Training courses and support group
2. Emergency hotline after office hours
3. Consultation with MSF Officers
4. Fostering Allowance for the upkeep of the foster child
5. Medical Fee Exemption Card (MFEC)
6. Respite Care
7. Infant Care/Childcare Subsidies
How you can help
Be an Activist
If you have no fostering experience but are committed to be advocates for greater community awareness and engagement in the fostering campaign.
Be an Ambassador
If you have fostering experience, either directly as foster parents, or adults who have had positive experiences with foster families.
Be a Foster Parent
If you are willing and capable to step forward and provide a safe home environment for these children to grow into well-rounded individuals.